Curtiss-Wright’s Sensors & Controls Division today announced the release of the fourth and final planned frame size of its next-generation Exlar® brand FTX Series actuators. These high-force, electric, rod-style actuators now offer higher performance and ease of maintenance than previously available.
The FTX Series actuators are intended for use in high-force, high-duty cycle applications in harsh environments. Based on planetary roller screw technology, the FTX Series offers high robustness in a compact form factor, making them an ideal alternative to hydraulic cylinders. With continuous force ratings to 89 kN (20,000 lbf), speeds to 1000 mm/sec (39 in/sec), and stroke lengths from 150 mm (6 in.) to 900 mm (36 in.), the FTX160 can be applied across a wide range of linear motion applications.
The FTX160, a next-generation version of the current FT60 model, features the following key enhancements over the existing FT Series designs:
- High capacity planetary roller screws offering up to 15X the life and significantly higher shock load resistance than a comparably sized ball screw
- IP65S (min.) environmental protection
- Idler pulley design greatly simplifies motor installation and belt tensioning / maintenance
- Grease zerk fitting and removable front seal bushing greatly simplify maintenance and re-greasing of nut assembly to maximize actuator life
- Modular design with bolt-on mounting hardware allows mounting style reconfiguration or replacement in the field using commonly available tools