SMAC Moving Coil Actuators has announced release of their next generation Very Low Cost (VLC) single axis DC brushed/brushless motor controller/driver. With a price of $250 for stand-alone ($200 for built in types) the VLC represents another 35% drop in price compared to many of the company’s previous controllers … and with no loss in features or functionality. This lets SMAC compete with pneumatic cylinders and electric ball screws and attract new OEM applications.
SMAC’s VLC product line is designed and built by SMAC in the United States. Since SMAC controls the development, it can adjust the product to specific design and market/customer needs. These efficiencies mean considerable cost-savings to the end customer.
The VLC — with its compact size and flexible shape capability — can be easily added to virtually all SMAC actuators. This is important because of the trend to combine actuators with controllers which eliminates cables and the need for space in control cabinets on machines. Key benefits of the single-axis servo controller include:
• Enables direct control features with the built-in version
• Built-in controller to the actuator eliminates connection failures
• Same programming language as LAC1, using free programming software
• Very compact with 3 amp continuous and 6-A peak driver (24/48 Vdc).
• Physical shape can be adjusted to fit specific space limitations … MCA built inside versions already use this feature
Expanded versions of the single-axis servo controller are coming soon to include built-in Ethernet interfaces — including Ethernet/IP, EtherCAT — and expanded I/O as well as the addition of a second axis for grippers as well as linear and rotating control.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.